Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lawn mower

Chad and Dyke always complained about having to do the hardest work with dad. They were the ones who learned body work on wrecked cars and helped straighten car frames. One job they got out of fairly early in life, though, was mowing the lawn. I may be be exaggerating but I seem to remember being thrust into the lawn mowing spot light at the ripe age of 6 years old. Dad took me out to the front lawn and placed me in front of the BYU reject lawn mower that he had repaired for the millionth time and taught me about keeping the far wheel just this side of the line, so you wouldn't leave any patches of grass unmowed. He then pulled the starter and I stood behind the bar. The upper bar was about shoulder height, and I remember trying to push the top bar but I could only accomplish movement if I was on a down hill slope once I hit level ground or a uphill slope I had to drop my hands to the lower bar and lean with all 45 pounds of muscle, bone and fury to get it to move. The front lawn took what seemed like hours to finish that day. From that day forward Cody and I slowly took over the lawn duties You would think that with Cody and I being the middle children we would have lawn mowing relief only a few years behind, but when Laura asked to mow the lawn, she took her turn and shined!
I think I remember saying something to the effect of "stupid Laura, she can't even mow in a straight line!", thinking dad was going to give her a "whipp'in". Laura took the mower and maneuvered it in a criss cross pattern around the yard. Laura then abandoned her efforts leaving huge patches of uneven lawn. Dad seeing the lawn yelled at me and made me go finish the job.
I now see the genius of Laura's plan, I being the people pleaser that I am tried to make perfect lines and no patches, thus increasing the amount of work required of me. Laura, following little girl Wimsey and fun, had a good time and decreased her work load.

No comments: