Sunday, May 3, 2009

Milk- By Wade

when I was in the 9th grade I played a lot of basketball. Every day after school we would play 2 on 2 basketball with Adam and Abel Smith and Ryan Chappell. Adam told me once that If I drank a lot of milk I would grow taller, having no information to combat this I began drinking a 32oz cup of milk 2 times a day, once in the morning and once at night.
Mom was buying about 10 gallons of milk per week at the time for all 9 of us kids and with me drinking a half gallon per day and the older boys probably drinking as much there always seemed to be a shortage of milk. After several months of a milk shortage Milk suddenly began to appear, which was great because I was going to be 7 feet tall and play in the NBA. I did notice an occasional change in the smell, a kind of a baby formula smell, but taste wasn't affected so I continued my routine. I would drink my 32 oz of milk in the morning and when I came home that night the milk jug would be full again. I would drink my 32 oz of milk at night and the jug would be full by morning, oblivious to this magic jug, I continued to drink out of the jug until the taste began to change and I would abandon my efforts to grow another foot tall until the other kids in the house finished off the old jug and a new one would emerge.
It was years later the older boys let me in on Moms secret; when the milk jug would reach half way, she would fill the rest back up with powdered milk, repeating the process several times with the same jug of milk. This was in an effort to save money as powdered milk was cheaper than real milk. After being cut so many times All the children instinctively knew not to drink it and it would sit...the same jug would stay in the refrigerator until some one would just dump it down the sink when Mom wasn't looking, allowing the process to repeat itself when money got tight again.

No comments: