Sunday, March 22, 2009

Grandma Greengo - by Tia



I've always remembered Grandma Greengo as being so glamorous and classy. She wore rollers in her hair each day so it would curl perfectly, she dressed well and carried herself with an aire of elegance. I thought she was so beautiful. Looking back, I believe that beauty was especially remarkable considering the great hardships she faced in her life.

I remember when she would come to visit she would offer me all of the change in her coin purse if I would brush her hair. I learned quickly to ask her if I could as soon as she would walk in the door.

There were a couple of times that Laura, Beth and I went up to her house to stay for a few days while off-track. It was so fun (even if I was scared to sleep in the rooms in the basement) and I think it was so great of her to allow us to come and have special attention by her.

When I was in 6th grade I went for a whole week by myself. I had the time of my life - she spent all day paying attention to me and I loved it. We read magazines together, cooked, cleaned, grocery shopped and even went to her dialasis together. As you can imagine, when she died later that same school year, I was heart broken. I remember it was the same time that we were practicing for the school patriotic music program and our class was singing "The Rose" by Bette Midler and during practice I began sobbing and had to be taken to the office to find Mom. When her funeral came I saved one of the dozens of pink carnations that decorated her casket. I hope someday to grow into as beautiful of a woman as she was.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thanks for this. It helped me to remember fond memories of Grandma, too. She holds a special place in my heart.