Monday, March 23, 2009

Surprise B-day Party: By Cody


When I was in the fifth grade, I was very excited about my upcoming b-day party. I had talked to mom about having the party on Friday afternoon after school (the day of my birthday). A few days before my birthday, I was walking with Josh Smith to school and asked him if he could come to my party. Josh gave me a really funny look. He paused like he wasn’t sure what to say, and then he said, “No, I can’t.” Devastated, I looked at him and said, “Why, what are you doing Friday after school?” Josh again paused and said something like, “I don’t know. I just can’t come.” Hearing Josh’s response, I demanded that he tell me why he couldn’t come. Josh squirmed a bit and then said, “Do you promise not to tell anyone? To this I replied, “Yea, I won’t tell anyone.” Josh then said, “Well, your sister Heather is planning a surprise b-day party for you on that same day, but she made me promise not to tell you. Don’t tell her that I told you, or she will get mad at me.” Josh then proceeded to tell me the entire plan for the surprise b-day party, and he made me promise to act surprised at the party. I was so excited! I could not believe that someone had actually planned a surprise b-day party for me. I thanked Josh and then dreamed about my surprised b-day party for the next few days. Finally, Friday afternoon came. Mom told me that she and dad were taking me to Fred Meyers to pick out my b-day gift. Thanks to Josh, I knew this was all part of the plan to get me out of the house, so I gladly went to Fred Meyers and picked out a wide skateboard that had the words “Thriller” written on it. For those of you who don’t remember, “Thriller” was the name of Michael Jackson’s hit song at the time. I knew my friends were going to think that my skateboard was so cool. Sean Smith later stole the skate board from me and then left it at his friend’s house. I insisted on carrying the skateboard out of the store. I was so proud. As we drove home from the store, I could hardly contain my excitement, but I knew that I had to act surprised. When I walked in the front door and then into the family room, all my friends and family yelled, “Surprise!” Once my friends saw my skateboard, they all wanted to go outside and try it. We had a great time watching a movie and riding my skateboard. Thanks to Heather, my fifth b-day will always stand as one of my favorites.

No comments: