Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Cat toss- By Wade


The Smiths across the street had gotten a new kitten. Andy and I were outside playing basketball when their new cat wandered into our yard. I picked up the cat and threw it into our pool that was really an oversize galvanized steel cow watering trough. Andy thought this was good fun so after the cat climbed out of the water he threw the cat back in. Being boys we made a game of this and challenged each other to get further and further away from the pool for the cat toss. I went last because on the last toss the cat didn't quite make it to the pool and hit the side before falling in. The cat crawled out of the pool, only able to use its front legs began to howl, attracting the attention of the little girls and their friends. the girls who were there began to cry. suddenly mom from the kitchen window began to scream at me "you killed it, you killed it" over and over, then coming out of the house to yell at me some more.

I got on my bike and rode down to the pet store where the man at the counter gave me a kitten and a box. I rode home trying to carry the cat, in the box, while riding my bike. The cat would reach out of the box and bite and claw my hand. I took the new cat to Suzie Smith, apologized and offered the new cat as a peace offering. Suzie refused the cat and the apology.

2 comments:

Tia said...

Man alive, I remember that!! I also remember the pit in my stomach that day! :)

Anonymous said...

did you post about this because you were proud of it? what kind of asshole writes a blog about making a game of killing cats. i sure hope you were really young because i want to blame it on the fact that you were too young and too naive to know the gravity of your actions. all i'm saying is that if that was my cat, i would have drowned your ass in that pool.