Saturday, November 22, 2008

Shopping at the Mall - by Tia

One afternoon when I was in 6th grade Dyke told me Laura and Beth to get in the car because he was taking us shopping. Well, if you've read any of the posts below, you'll know that we had learned to be pretty suspicious of Dyke's offerings. After he had convinced us that he wasn't lying we drove to the bank and he withdrew $180.00 and handed $60.00 to each of us. Then he drove us to the Mall - somewhere we NEVER shopped (the best we got was Pic N Save if we were going to buy something nice, the rest of the time we rode our bikes to DI or waited for hand-me-downs from neighbors). The three of us went to the mall often, but it was to spend our paper route money on See's suckers, ice cream cones and photo's in the booth at Walgreen's.
We didn't even know where to start. I remember Laura spent hers at The United Colors of Benetton and the cashier was totally hitting on Dyke and was asking us, "So, your brother is buying you these clothes? What a nice brother, can I talk to him?" I got a pair of black jeans and a striped polo style long sleeved shirt that I wore to school the very next day. For the first time ever, the cool girls complimented me on what I was wearing (perhaps because it was clean, matched and was new). I felt like I was leader of the pack and I remember thinking, "I wonder if it would be bad if I wore this again tomorrow."

No comments: