Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cody and Wade fights- by Cody


You have to understand that Wade and I were born 14 months apart. This is both a blessing and a curse. Growing up, we were always best friends, but we were also very competitive. Wade has always been either my same size or bigger. As a result, we either played nicely together, or we would fight. Because we fought so frequently, we had agreed on the following rules:

No biting
No pulling hair
No punching in the face

With those established rules we did a lot of wrestling, punching in the stomach, and kicking. That is unless Wade was losing. As soon as I would start to win a fight, suddenly Wade would bite and pull hair. He never punched in the face, but it really made me mad, when he would break our pre-established rules. I remember saying in the middle of a fight, “Hey that is not fair, you are pulling my hair”. To this Wade would respond, “I don’t care”.

On one occasion, Wade and I were fighting downstairs in our room. Suddenly, we heard the heavy footsteps of dad coming down the stairs. Knowing that we would be in big trouble for fighting, we quickly started to untangle and get up off the floor. Dad walked into our room and said, “Are you boys fighting?” To this Wade and I both responded, “Oh no, we weren’t fighting, we were just wrestling.” Dad gave us a suspicious look and then said, “I better not catch you boys fighting, or you will both get a spanking.” Dad then walked out of the room, and Wade and I dismissed our argument and became best friends again.

On another occasion, Wade and I started to fight in the front yard. Dad was working in the garage. When Dad saw that we were fighting, he said, “You boys want to fight, well, I better help you cool off.” Then Dad grabbed the water hose in the front yard and started squirting both Wade and me in the face. All the water made it difficult to fight. I remember every time Wade and I would get close enough to do anything damage, Dad would again blast water in our faces. The water also made the grass slippery. At one point, I tried to kick Wade and slipped on the wet grass. I was really embarrassed when both Wade and Dad laughed after I slipped. Eventually, Wade and I both got tired of the water and stopped the fight.
On another occasion, Wade and I were walking home from school. As we walked through the field that separated the church from the next neighborhood, one of the neighbor kids asked which of us was the toughest. To this I responded, “I am.” Then Wade looked over at me and said, “No you’re not.” We then began pushing each other. The next thing that I can remember, Wade and I were rolling around in a muddy ditch in front of half the neighborhood boys. I don’t remember who won that fight; I just remember how it started, and being covered in mud. I still wonder how Wade and I explained to mom how our clothes got so muddy.

No comments: