Monday, November 3, 2008

A whole candy bar! By Tia

When our sister Trina got married, we thought she'd hit the jack pot! Her new husband not only drove a Trans Am, they would take us to Sounds Easy pizza on Friday nights and get us a large pizza and rent movies for us to watch on their hip wicker furniture. On one of our first of hundreds of sleep overs they stopped at 7-11 on the way home. As Brian got out of the car to run in for a Diet Coke refill he looked at me and my two sisters (Beth and Laura) squished in the barely-there-back-seat of the Trans Am and said, "What treat do you girls want?" Instantly, the three of us put our heads together to discuss what treat we would all consent to share. Brian got a puzzled look on his face and said, "You can all pick your own treat, I'm not just buying one for you to share." What?!! That concept had yet to be introduced to us up to that point in our lives and it took a few moments for it to sink in. We'd never gone to the gas station before and had someone buy us our OWN FULL SIZE CANDY BAR! Laura was the first to chime in, "I want a Snickers," Beth followed, "Me, too!" And me, being unable to deviate from my cool sisters who always told me what to do, finshed off with, "Uh, huh, that's what I want to." So, in he went and out he came with three Snickers bars and a giant Red Cream soda for us. It was a night I'll never forget - a night we fully became aquainted with the idea that we could each have our own treat, even if it was the exact same thing!

P.S. - Later, Trina and Brian also introduced us to Kids Meals at Hardee's and took me to Showbiz Pizza for my 5th Birthday - HEAVEN forany 5 year old!!!

3 comments:

Carrie Ann said...

Kids can be so easy to please... it's delightful. You just have to deprive them first. But that's the way the typical family unit is organized: Mom and Dad do the depriving (forced sharing) and the aunts and uncles (and older married siblings) do the spoiling. This is a great blog, and I will be visiting often!

Megan said...

I'll never forget your hairdos at the patriotic program courtesy of Trina and how you would boast "she can french braid my hair into any letter of the alphabet." I was so jealous. I wanted my hair braided into an M so bad

Preds Girl said...

I never get tired of hearing that story! LOL.