Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Marmalade vs. Salsa - By Tia

One morning when I was in High School (I think it was 1997 or 1998) I was cooking some eggs in the kitchen for breakfast. Dad came in and put some bread into the toaster and then walked over the fridge. Because of his vision, when he talks to you he likes to put one hand on your shoulder and his face really close to yours so he can try to see you using his peripheral vision (so close that you can always smell how recent his last teeth brushing was). He walks over to me with a jar of marmalade jam in his hand and putting one hand on my shoulder, face close up and the other hand extended out in front of me he asks, "Is this a jar of marmalade jam?" Thinking it a silly question, I answered in my snooty teenage way, "uh, yeah" to which he replied, "oh, good! Yesterday I put salsa on my toast" in a voice that suggested this was normal.

That afternoon I was talking to my brother Cody and I told him what had happened and this is what he had to say, "Yeah, yesterday I was eating breakfast at the kitchen table and Dad sits down with a plate of toast. I said to him, "Hey Dad, what did you put on your toast?" and he says, "Jam" and I say, "I think that is salsa." Dad then takes a bite and says disgruntled, "You gotta be kidding me, it is salsa.""

No comments: