Saturday, November 22, 2008

Change- Wade

When I was a senior in high school I got a girl friend who was a freshman at BYU, and she had a car. I would ride my Mtn bike to her house and make out until it was time for me to go home. Some times it would be so late she would give me a ride home in her crappy Peugeot car. One night after the previous series of events, at about 1:00 AM, I decided I was going to go get my Bike from her house. It was really very Innocent and I had no ulterior motives. I had my Yellow water proof Walkman on as I passed Dyke and Denise in her blue Grand Prix and started to run. I made it about half way to my destination when I heard foot steps behind me, I didn't have time to react because the really cool Walkman drowned out the sound of foot steps. I felt a heavy hand on my shoulder and I cowered away looking back to find Dyke standing there. He told me he knew where I was going and I shouldn't be going over to her house. I said "I am just going to get my bike, I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING BAD!"
Dyke yelling back at me said "YEAH BUT YOUR NOT DOING ANYTHING GOOD EITHER"
I can't remember anything that was said after, and I still ran to my girl friends house and got my bike. Dyke telling me in a sense that I was a piece of crap, a parasite on society, effected me greater that he knows. I consider this one of the turning points in my life, an epiphany that being a low life looser wasn't good enough. I didn't graduate high school and I had no direction in my life. I feel that had things not changed, that working my way up from dish washer at Ponderosa and hoping for a promotion to waiter would be the pinnacle of my success. Dyke made me realize that not trying would leave me where I currently was and no one was going to change it but me. It was shortly after this incident I went on a LDS mission which provided time away from my former life and an avenue for me to change.

No comments: