Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Running away- By Wade


Mom had told me to go clean my room and that had my temper flared. I must have been pretty young because when I decided to run away I had visions of a Norman Rockwell painting, a run away with a handkerchief on the end of a stick. We didn't have any handkerchiefs, that weren't in dads pocket, so I decided a sleeping bag would do, a red one from BYU's outdoors rental department. The sleeping bag had holes burned in it, from many camp outs where the bag was placed to close to the fire. Mom had used black thread to close up the holes in a cross stitch pattern. I went to the storage room to collect my 2 cans of Chile con carne, and I shoved them in the stuff sack.
Cody walked in and said "what ya do'in"
In my most indignant voice I said "I'm running away!"
Cody simply asked "can I come?"
Somewhat startled I agreed to have him come and I grabbed 1 more can of Chile, cause we now had 2 mouths to feed.
I lugged the sleeping bag out to the back yard past the garden to the back side of the fence next to the "railroad tracks". By this time the sleeping bag and 3 cans of Chile had become to heavy so we decided to rest. Cody and I sat down and talked for a while then Cody turned the subject to future food "What are we going to eat once the Chile is gone?"
This was the question that turned my anger. Mom always cooked for us and while the food was not 100% of the time good tasting, it did somehow keep us alive. Giving in we then made our way, retracing our steps, back to the storage room and put away the Chile and sleeping bag and Cody then helped me clean my room by trying to get me to play "A-team", where he let me be B.A. Barachas, Cause I had darker skin, and he was Hanable because he had blond hair.

1 comment:

Beth said...

We never played A-Team, but we did spend a lot of time playing M.A.S.H. - Major Hoolahan (Laura), Kernal Potter, Klinger (Tia), and on.