Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"I'd Like to Get a Litter Out of Her" -By Beth

You know what my dad loves? Tradio. Not radio. TRADIO. I couldn’t begin to count the number of times I’ve found my dad laying on the couch with his radio sitting on his chest listening for his favorite program to start. Sometimes dad would even have to get up at 6 a.m. just to listen to his program, broadcast out of Richfield, Utah. Most of the stuff for sale was out of Sanpete, Carbon or Emery county. He wasn’t bothered by the idea that he’d have to travel 1-2 hours to secure his deals. What he cared about was the DEAL. Yes, he’s a man with an eye for a bargain, and as one of his colleagues from over at BYU once said of him, “Your dad would spend $10 just to save $5.” Truer words were never spoken.
Dad has sold and bought innumerable commodities over tradio, but none so great as his dog, Snickers. On one afternoon in 2006 dad listened devotedly to his program and heard of a found dog available for free to a good home. The dog was located in Chester, Utah (fate, right?). They drove two hours to pick the dog up, and gave her a home even though she threw up in the car on the way there. Dad assured us she was a Yorkie and was valuable. But she looked, well, old. Don’t dogs that size only live about 10 years? She looked to be about 9 1/2. “I’d like to get a litter out of her.” He mused to us when we met the old pup. “Wow, Dad." I said, "I think she’s too old to have puppies.”
While Snickers was fully trained – going potty outside and polite and aloof to the grandkids, dad still felt compelled to “train” her. One night as we came over for a visit he excitedly asked us to watch as he showed us her new tricks. Now, remember that he’s blind? It hasn’t ever really stopped him from doing anything he wants to do, which is so much to his credit. (You’re a good example in that, Dad!!) On his knees with a doggie treat in his hands he called Snickers to him and said in a commanding voice, “Snickers! Sit! Sit. No. No. Sit. No, sit!” Then he cocked his head back to us and asked, “Did she do it?”

2 comments:

Tia said...

This is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!!! For some reason I thought he was trying to get her to stand up, not sit down. Anyways, such a great story. Poor Snickers.

Meridee said...

This is my new favorite blog. Good work guys. I have been laughing for the past 10 minutes.